Thursday, October 29, 2009

Humble Beginnings

Oldest known sketch of the original Tail characters,1991 by Jason Collins.

This project now known as the Tail formally Ninja Force, was originally conceived back in 1990. Not by an ambitious collage student perusing his degree in literature, but a 3rd grader perusing and entertaining afternoon playing in the woods. This classic childhood ritual of role playing soon developed into a cast of comic book characters. A constructive (and attention getting) hobby for any 10 year old. Over the years characters developed along side the young artists skill.
Still the Ninja Force, 1995 by Jason Collins.
Speaking from my personal experiences, looking back at this concept, I've come to realize a lot of things about childhood and what it is in the creative mind. Most importantly I realize, back then there was no established restraint against creativity. By restraint I mean the techniques you learn from art class, collage, or work. As a child then and now I felt like an ambitious artist. Where I grew up, there was little to no access to artistic venues (and there still isn't). Nowhere for a kid serious about cartooning to get exposed to artist, methods, or history about what it is he wanted to do. Nevertheless I taught myself (along side a close friend) cartooning, sequential art, and animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment